Sunday, January 17, 2010

Certain expressions with the verb (avoir)

Even though the ( verb) avoir means to have, there are certain expressions with the verb avoir that might catch a person off guard. These different expressions are used with avoir, but it means different such as using (I am).


The conjuatation of avoir


J'ai - I have

tu as - You have

Il a - He has

Elle a - She has

Nous avons - We have

Vous avez- - You have

Ils ont - They have

Elles ont - They have


Note: it is important to note these expressions below means (I am),not ( I have)

The expressions(with avoir)




J'ai soif - I am thristy

J'ai sommeil - I am sleepy

J'ai chaud - I am hot

J'ai froid - I am cold

J'ai faim - I am hungry

After using (j'ai)as an expression, it also goes with the other prounouns as ( tu, il,elle, nous,vous, ils,elles) while conugating the verb avoir, but remember the english translation will not be used with have or has! The english translation will be used with I am, you is, he is, she is, we are, you are,and they are. Note below the two examples!

Example:

Vous avez soif - You are thristy or You're hungry

Vous avez sommeil - You are sleepy or You're sleepy

Vous avez chaud - You are hot or You're hot

Vous avez froid - You are cold or You're cold

Vous avez faim - You are hungry or You're hungry


Example two:

Nous avons soif - We are thristy or We're thristy

Nous avons sommeil - We are thristy or We're thristy

Nous avons chaud - We are hot or We're hot

Nous avons froid - We are cold or We're cold

Nous avons faim - We are hungry or We're hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails